Impacts of Plastic
1. More than 500,000,000 plastic straws are used in the US every single day. It is enough to fill 127 school buses.
2. It is estimated that 8% of the world oil production is used to manufacture plastics.
3. Straws create pollution at every stage of their existence, from oil drilling, manufacturing, shipping, and distribution.
4. Straws are one of the top 10 pieces of garbage polluting the ocean. In fact, a turtle was once found with over 1,000 pieces of plastic in its stomach.
5. By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean.
6. It is estimated that more than one million sea birds, 100,000 marine mammals and countless fish are killed by plastic pollution each year.
7. Straws don’t biodegrade they photo degrade. The plastic breaks down into more harmful pieces that lasts 100’s of years.
8. Most straws are not recycled. Plastic straws are plastic #5, which most municipalities do not recycle.